Skip to main content

Full text of "Illinois Wesleyan University : growth, turning points and new directions since the Second World War"

See other formats

Illinois Wesleyan University 

Growth, Turning Points and New Directions 
Since the Second World War 

George Vinyard 

Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 


Illinois Wesleyan University is commemorating its 125th year 
and the occasion seems an appropriate time to take stock of the 
institution's development since the end of the Second World War. The 
intervening years have witnessed what are surely the most rapid and 
substantial changes in the history of Wesleyan. 

The following is an attempt to trace the major trends and 
turning points which have shaped the development of Wesleyan to the 
present and which may be expected to continue to affect it for years to 
come. Rather than a strict chronological accounting, these events are 
discussed in relation to the general topic areas of academic programs, 
campus life, and institutional administration and governance. In addi- 
tion, photographs and short captions or vignettes are included in an 
effort to capture some of the lighter moments, traditions, and atmos- 
phere which have characterized IWU at various times throughout the 

An entity as complex as a university, even a small one such as 
IWU, is extremely difficult to treat historically, especially when the 
account must be brief. Further, virtually every reader will possess 
eyewitness knowledge of at least some of the events which are 
summarized. It is to be expected that any recounting of the major 
events may seem inaccurate or incomplete to those who actually 
participated. Nonetheless, editorial choices must be made. While it 
may be impossible to estimate the eventual impact of some seemingly 
insignificant happening or of any given individual's presence on the 
campus, the following trends and events seem to be clearly prominent 
in their overall significance for Illinois Wesleyan. 
• Immediately following the Second World War, the construction 

of the Memorial Student Center and the first large residence halls 
marked the beginning of a trend toward a more truly residential 
campus and greatly expanded student services. 

The Centennial Homecoming parade, 1950 

• Also in the late Forties, Wesleyan expanded its commitment to 
professional education in the fine arts by adding Schools of Art and 
Drama to complement the longstanding emphasis established in the 
School of Music. 

• Enrollment fluctuated drastically before beginning a steady 
climb in the middle Fifties which culminated in the current plateau of 
more than 1,600 students. The influx of veterans following WW II had 
caused enrollment to bulge to over 1,300 students after which it 
declined by nearly 40 percent in the early Fifties to a low point of 
approximately 750. Wesleyan responded by implementing austerity 
measures and by developing an innovative and aggressive admission 
counseling program which has continued to the present. 

• Planning and development efforts begun in the late Fifties 
produced the "Twelfth Decade Advance" in the Sixties. During this 
period, enrollment growth and expansion of academic programs were 
accompanied by the construction of six new academic and administra- 
tive buildings and the renovation of another. Also, three large residence 
halls, a new heat plant, and a new bookstore were added to the 

• In 1959, the University became a pioneer in providing baccalau- 
reate preparation for nurses by establishing the Brokaw Collegiate 
School of Nursing. Enrollment in this professional program grew 

rapidly until it became the largest of the four professional schools 
which give IWU a unique identity as a "micro-university." 

• Wesleyan took advantage of the general growth in higher 
education during the Sixties to improve the quality of students and 
faculty through increased selectivity as competition for college admis- 
sion and for college teaching positions stiffened. In order to attract 
highly qualified faculty, salaries were substantially increased in relation 
to those paid at similar institutions. 

• Charges for tuition and other expenses have risen dramatically 
over the years in line with expansion, improved quality, and economic 
inflation. Since the early Sixties, Wesleyan has expanded and refined its 
financial aid services in an attempt to meet the needs of all qualified 

• Probably the most significant result of conscious efforts at 
academic innovation during the middle Sixties was the implementation 
of the January Short Term. The change was greeted with apathy or 
even hostility by many faculty and students, as Wesleyan was among 
the first dozen U.S. colleges to adopt such an unorthodox calendar. 
IWU quickly came to see the benefits of the concentrated term, 
however, as have hundreds of other schools across the nation. 

• As the "Twelfth Decade Advance" drew to a close, the Universi- 
ty, with the help of students, faculty and consultants, took stock of its 
position and future needs. Faced with potential enrollment declines 
and adverse economic conditions nationally, Wesleyan resolved to seek 
enrollment stability and further qualitative improvement. Renewed 
development efforts were aimed at increasing current gift income, 
completing the building and campus beautification program, and 
expanding the endowment. 

• In 1972-73, completion of the Alice Millar Center for the Fine 
Arts provided, for the first time in many years, adequate facilities to 
meet the needs of the programs in Music, Art, and Drama. This project 
rounded out physical plant needs. The same year saw the largest 
increase in the University's net worth (fund balances) ever recorded, in 
both absolute and relative terms. 



An investigation of the academic life and programs at Illinois 
Wesleyan since World War II reveals three major trends or develop- 
ments. First is an apparent improvement in the academic quality, or at 
least in the general level of academic preparation of students and 
faculty. Second, the University has, over the long run, added new 
programs and altered old ones in such a way as to change IWU from a 
liberal arts college with a professional music school into what may be 
called a "micro-university," a unique combination of professional and 
pre-professional programs in the setting of a small liberal arts college. 
Third, Wesleyan has engaged in significant experiments with innova- 
tive curricula and instructional techniques, the most notable being the 
January Short Term. 

The Freshman Beanie 

Titan Green took on more 
than symbolic meaning for IWU 
freshmen before 1969. Tradition 
had it that the "green" Frosh had 
to wear the undistinguished 
headgear at all times from 
registration until the Titan 
gridders won the Homecoming 
game or, failing that happy event, 
until Thanksgiving vacation. Some 
naive individuals actually believed 
the rule and were reported to con- 
tinue to advertise their freshness 
beyond the first week of school; it 
is said that most ditched the things 
between registration and the Grill. The tradition died when 
students began to rebel at paying $1 for the hunks of green felt; 
rising to the outcries of its constituency, Student Senate assumed 
jurisdiction over beanies and made their purchase optional. 

Without question, there have always been associated with 
Wesleyan a number of prestigious faculty members who were also 
inspiring teachers. Similarly, there have been outstanding students 
throughout all the years. Attempts at comparing the best of today with 
the best of the past soon degenerate into meaningless argument, 
however. The entire milieu of national academic life has changed so 
substantially that only general observations can be made about the 
abstract "general level" of academic performance and about some of 
the social, political and other factors which might have had some 

Current faculty members who were teaching during the late 
Forties have observed that the maturity and motivation of the WW II 
veterans made that period one of the most stimulating times to be a 
teacher. Competition for college admission among post-war high 
school graduates and the returning veterans may have allowed IWU to 
be more selective in its admission policies, even though enrollments at 
that time were allowed to grow substantially. This growth, with its 
corresponding increase in faculty numbers, undoubtedly had a stimu- 
lating effect on the general intellectual atmosphere of the University. In 
contrast, the severe enrollment decline of the early Fifties (from 1,355 
students in 1949 to 778 in 1953) with its resulting retrenchment, may 
have contributed to a relaxation of admission standards. 

Since 1957, enrollment has consistently exceeded 1,100 students. 
Until the decision in 1970 to stabilize enrollment at about 1,650 fulltime 
undergraduate students, the pattern was one of long-range growth with 
some periods of slight fluctuation. Increasing selectivity in the admis- 
sion of new students was the result of an aggressive admission policy 
and a growth rate deliberately held below the national average. A 
comparison of average test scores and high school standing for entering 
freshmen over the years confirms this conclusion. 

The combination of the enrollment boom and substantial 
increases in tuition enabled IWU to undertake sustained efforts toward 
raising faculty salaries in relation to those offered at other comparable 
schools. Today Wesleyan ranks among the top 20 percent of similar 
colleges with regard to faculty compensation. Increasingly competitive 
salaries and the growing competition among Ph.D. holders for college 
teaching positions are certainly factors which have contributed to the 
overall increase in the level of academic preparation of the faculty. For 
example, the proportion of the liberal arts faculty holding earned 
doctorates in 1958 was 44 percent. In 1968 it surpassed 50 percent and 
in 1974 it exceeded 70 percent. 

Thus, while it is impossible to assess the value of those intangible 
qualities which cause the intellectual atmosphere to crackle with 
excitement, it does appear from circumstances and available quantita- 
tive measures that Wesleyan has grown much stronger academically 
over the years. Some observers of academic life have also noted that, as 
in American society generally, the pace of student and faculty life has 
become more intense in later years. Whether this intensity amounts to 
improved quality may be debatable, but its existence seems as 
apparent as the factors which may have caused it: Social upheaval, 
technological revolutions, dramatic growth in higher education, 
increasing competition for jobs or places in graduate school, and, for a 
time, the prospect of being drafted for military service in a controversial 

Regardless of other factors affecting academic excellence, the 
nature of the student body and the quality and diversity of intellectual 
life on the campus were certainly altered by what might be called the 
trend toward "professionalization" in the curriculum. The most notable 
events associated with this trend are the founding of the Schools of Art, 
Drama, and Nursing. Other developments include the increasing 
professionalization of teacher preparation, expansion of business 
programs, and expanding enrollments in pre-professional programs 
such as social welfare, medical technology, pre-medical training, and 

The Schools of Art and Drama were founded in 1946 and 1947, 
respectively, and in 1948 they were combined with the School of Music 
into a College of Fine Arts. Though the College of Fine Arts has never 
functioned as an administrative entity, it does serve to stress the 
University's comprehensive commitment to the visual and performing 
arts. Both schools evolved from pre-existing Bachelor of Arts programs 
of long-standing. The prestigious example set for many years by the 
School of Music may have influenced the decision to establish Schools 
with professional programs leading to the Bachelor of Fine Arts 
degree. It is perhaps significant to note that the new professional 
degree programs were not dropped or suspended just a few years later 
when severely declining enrollments forced significant retrenchments. 

The School of Art had its beginnings in Wesleyan's association 
with a proprietary commercial art school operated in Bloomington 
during the early 1900's. Art instruction was associated with the School 
of Music and took place in Presser Hall when IWU first assumed 
exclusive responsibility for it. By 1946, when it acquired the status of a 
School, art had been functioning as an academic department for 17 

The Art Center, formerly a carriage house 

years. The addition of the professional degree program at a time when 
overall University enrollments were booming resulted in rapid and 
substantial growth in the numbers of students pursuing artistic studies. 

Studio instruction was initially limited to commercial art skills, 
painting, drawing, and printmaking. Sculpture and ceramics were 
added later. Full-time staff positions have always been limited by the 
size of the Art School enrollment which has never exceeded 100 full- 
time students. A rather comprehensive studio curriculum has been 
maintained throughout the years by the use of part-time teaching 
specialists. At times it was necessary to use outstanding upperclass 
students for specialized instructional purposes. 

With the exception of a small structure called the "Art Center" 
behind Blackstock Hall, art classes and studios were located exclusive- 
ly in converted residences for the first 26 years of the School's 
existence. A large brick house on Main Street provided a gallery, 
classrooms, and painting studios, with a sculpture shop in the base- 
ment. The print shop was located in the basement of Blackstock Hall, 
an old mansion which was and still is a women's residence hall. As the 
enrollment grew, other frame houses were pressed into service as shops 
and student studios. In 1973, after many years of crowding and 

inconvenience, the Art School occupied its new home, a specially 
designed building constructed as part of the Alice Millar Center for the 
Fine Arts. Though less rustic or Bohemian than the former quarters, the 
new structure provides more than twice the floor space previously 
available for art instruction and is better designed and equipped for 
teaching and working in a variety of artistic media, including plastic 
sculpture, metal casting, and photography. 

Despite its less-than-ideal facilities, Wesleyan's School of Art 
developed its own unique qualities over the years. Rupert Kilgore, who 
joined the faculty in 1946, became director of the School of Art three 
years later and for the first 25 years the history of the School was closely 
associated with the man. It was Kilgore who established the Wesleyan 
tradition of quality art education provided by artist-teachers. These 
traditional qualities led a famous critic and art educator who visited the 
campus to remark that IWU possessed something more than a school 
of art; he called it a "community of artists." There can be no doubt that 
the presence of this "community of artists" had a significant impact on 
the entire Wesleyan community. With assistance from the community, 
the School brought the works of well-known artists from all parts of the 
country to the IWU campus by means of an annual "purchase show." 
This traditional exhibition began in 1946 and was held each year until 
1969. From 1956 to the present, the School of Art has co-operated with 
the Schools of Drama and Music, and in later years with the Student 
Senate, in sponsoring the annual Contemporary Fine Arts Festival. The 
large Merwin Gallery in the new art building has already given rise to a 
more extensive program of exhibitions for the campus and the public. 

Spring Festival 

IWU students gave generously of their time and effort in the 
cause of admission recruitment before 1964. Hundreds of high 
school seniors were invited to the campus each spring to experience 
the times of their lives — a "typical" weekend at Illinois Wesleyan. 
They were treated to a theatre production, water ballet, and a dance 
complete with real college-age dates (guess who). In addition to 
study time, students also gave up space in their rooms and often 
they footed the bills for guest meals in the houses. Naturally, many 
of the "guests" were so impressed that they returned as students the 
following year and sacrificed themselves fourfold in subsequent 
Spring Festivals. 

Spotlight Alley Theatre 

In some ways the development of the School of Drama parallels 
that of the Art School. Dramatics formed a prominent portion of the 
curriculum in the Department of Speech before the professional 
program was initiated, and dramatic activities had long been an 
important traditional aspect of campus life. Thus, the commitment to a 
professional degree program was the major change associated with the 
establishment of the School. In fact the relationship of dramatics to 
speech was maintained for a time by making speech instruction a part 
of the "School of Dramatics and Speech." Later the speech department 
was severed again from Drama and most recently (1972) instruction in 
speech was limited and returned to the School of Drama curriculum. 

Dr. Lawrence Tucker headed the School of Drama as director 
from its founding in 1947 until 1968, when he was succeeded by Dr. 
John Ficca, the present director. 

The School of Drama was similar to the School of Art for many 
years in its need for adequate facilities. The destruction of Hedding 
Hall and Amie Chapel in 1943 forced dramatic productions into 
Westbrook Auditorium in Presser Hall. Conflicting programs of the 
School of Music led to problems with scheduling and other aspects of 
this arrangement. Completion of the Memorial Student Center freed 

the "Hut," a carriage house adjacent to Kemp Hall formerly used as a 
snackbar and bookstore, for use as a theatre in 1949. Summer produc- 
tions were staged there in what came to be called "Spotlight Alley." 
Classes were held in Old North. Construction of McPherson Hall was 
completed in 1963 and for the first time the School of Drama possessed 
a modern production facility. The new structure also provided space 
and facilities designed to support the instructional program. 

Drama has also resembled Art in size, maintaining an enrollment 
of less than 100 students, and in providing specialized instruction at 
times through the use of part-time teachers. Because the professional 
program in Drama has, from the beginning, been based primarily upon 
a commitment to professional productions, it has easily equalled and 
perhaps exceeded the impact of the other Fine Arts Schools on the life 
of the campus and the surrounding community. Critics visiting the 
University for the Fine Arts Festival or on other occasions have been 
lavish in their praise for the Drama program and the quality of its 
theatre productions. Most recently, the addition of an experimental 
theatre facility, built as part of the Alice Millar Center for the Fine Arts, 
has enhanced the experimental theatre productions which complement 
the annual schedule of main-stage shows, and which provide added 
educational opportunities to drama students. 

It would not be proper to discuss the academic programs of the 
University over the past thirty years without noting the stability and 
quality of the School of Music. Less affected than other portions of the 
University by enrollment fluctuations, the Music School contrasts with 
the institution as a whole by reason of its constancy. Throughout the 
entire period since the Second World War, the presence of the School 
has added a unique dimension to the intellectual and cultural life of the 
University. At some times its impact was naturally more dramatic than 
at others, since music students made up a substantially larger propor- 
tion of the student body during periods when total enrollment was 

Presser Hall, built in 1929-30, continued to serve as the exclusive 
music facility even after gradual increases caused the enrollment to far 
exceed the 125 students for which it was designed. Renovation of 
Presser, long planned in connection with the projected Center for the 
Fine Arts, was accelerated unexpectedly by the work of arsonists in 
1970. The fire caused direct damage to the stage area in Westbrook 
Auditorium as well as to many basement practice rooms and was 
responsible for extensive smoke and water damage. It occurred almost 
simultaneously with the wave of campus protests over the killing of 


students at Kent State, but any suspected connection was disproved 
three years later when the juveniles responsible were apprehended. 

Fire-ravaged stage area of Presser Hall 

While the damaged portions of Presser were being repaired in 
1970-71, music instruction and performance activities were carried out 
in converted residences and in the Memorial Student Center. Comple- 
tion of the Alice Millar Center for the Fine Arts in 1973 provided a new 
structure adjoining Presser. This addition not only expands the avail- 
able practice space, but also includes modern rehearsal facilities, a 
small recital hall, an electronic piano studio, and an electronic music 

The School of Music has grown in size and maintained high 
standards in spite of increasing competition for music performers 
brought about by the burgeoning programs in the performing arts at 
state-supported institutions. Wesleyan's reputation for music was 
enhanced on a national level over the years by the prominence of the 
School's leadership in the affairs of the National Association of Schools 
of Music (NASM) and the Phi Mu Alpha professional music fraternity. 
Both groups were headed at times by Dr. Carl M. Neumeyer, director 
of the School from 1952 until his death in 1972. 

In addition to the regular extensive programs of student and 
faculty recitals, Neumeyer initiated the annual Contemporary Music 
Symposium in 1952, further expanding musical opportunities for all 
members of the University community. More recently the symposium, 
which brings prominent contemporary composers to the campus, has 
been co-ordinated with the overall Fine Arts Festival. 

The decision in 1958 to found the Brokaw Collegiate School of 
Nursing is one of the major events in the recent history of Wesleyan. 
This program broadened the spectrum of professional interests of the 
student body, contributed greatly to the growth in enrollment and 
faculty and in slightly more than 10 years achieved national recognition 
for excellence. 

For many years, Wesleyan had co-operated with the Brokaw 


Hospital School of Nursing in providing basic liberal arts instruction 
for the students in that diploma program. The University also offered 
Brokaw students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Science degree 
from Wesleyan in a combination program which at first took a total of 
five years and was later reduced to four years. Despite this long history 
of involvement in the education of nurses, however, the founding of a 
collegiate school represented a major departure from past practices in 
nursing education and was opposed by various constituencies of the 
University. Some trustees and faculty members questioned the action 
on economic grounds, noting the typically high cost of collegiate 
nursing instruction and the University's need for additional endow- 
ment to support such a program. Parts of the medical profession were 
in general opposition to the relatively new concept of nursing instruc- 
tion by a professional nurse faculty. It was argued that a high-tuition 
four-year program would have difficulty attracting students in compe- 
tition with much less expensive diploma programs which required only 
three years. Others in the medical profession supported the venture, 
however, as did the administrators of Brokaw Hospital, who wished to 
phase out the diploma program. 

It is reported that the trustees actually voted on the issue of the 
implementation of a collegiate school of nursing at IWU on three 
separate occasions, the last in 1958 after staff hiring had already begun. 
Solid administrative backing and the determined dedication of Dr. 
Mary D. Shanks resulted in an ultimately affirmative decision, how- 
ever. Dr. Shanks, who holds a Brokaw diploma and a Wesleyan degree, 
became director of the University's Brokaw Collegiate School of 
Nursing in 1960 and her leadership has been a prime factor in its 
subsequent success. The new School of Nursing completed the course 
of instruction for the final class of students in the Brokaw diploma 
program and admitted its first class of 71 degree students in 1959. 

Baccalaureate nursing education has indeed been a high-cost 
program for IWU, but the School's outstanding achievements are also 
clear and indisputable. Attracting students of high quality was no 
problem as enrollment grew to approximately 200 in slightly over 10 
years, making the School of Nursing the largest of Wesleyan's four 
professional schools. The foresight of those who conceived and 
implemented the School has been demonstrated by the increasing 
dominance of baccalaureate programs in the field of nursing education. 
The consistently outstanding quality of the School was recognized in 
1971 when the National League for Nursing awarded continued 
accreditation without recommendation. 


Old Science Hall before remodeling 

Facilities for the School of Nursing were initially provided by 
the building which served as a dormitory for the Brokaw Hospital 
School. A federal grant providing for the renovation of the upper levels 
of Science Hall coincided with the move of the departments of Biolo- 
gy, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics into Sherff Hall in February 
1964. Rededicated as Edgar M. Stevenson Hall when occupied by the 
School of Nursing, the remodeled facility provided thoroughly modern 
faculty offices, classrooms, and facilities for demonstration and prac- 
tice of a variety of clinical techniques. A closed circuit "video-trainer" 
system was added later. 

Many changes were also occurring in the academic programs of 
the College of Liberal Arts during the postwar years. Retrenchment 
necessitated by enrollment declines, later expansion, interaction with 
the professional school programs, and changes in the natures of the 
various disciplines themselves all resulted in profound effects on some 
individual departments. For example, for a time in the late Forties, 
Psychology formed a joint department with Education as a part of the 
Division of Social Sciences. It was made a separate department in the 
Fifties, and came to be designated a Natural Science in the Sixties. 
History and Political Science were conjoined for a time in the Fifties. 
The Departments of Business Administration, Economics and Insur- 
ance were variously grouped under departmental and divisional 


Kemp Hall 

Kemp Hall possibly served more different functions for the 
University than any other building, and probably holds more 
romantic memories for those who lived and worked in it. At various 
times the old mansion served as the campus dining hall, both a 
men's and women's residence hall, and, on more than one occasion, 
as administrative offices. There are stories of outings; and one 
group of residents went so far as to attempt secession from the 
University and the establishment of a monarchy. 

structures during the long chairmanship of Dr. William T. Beadles, a 
Wesleyan alumnus whose expertise in insurance education brought 
added prestige to his Alma Mater. Presently, these studies are grouped 
into departments of Finance and Insurance, Business Administration, 
and Economics under co-ordinated leadership. 

More important than the fates and changes encountered by the 
particular departments in Liberal Arts, however, are the trends in 
instructional methods and techniques, as well as some major changes in 
the general degree requirements. With regard to the latter, the most 
important action may have been the introduction of more pervasive 
language requirements. Until 1953 Wesleyan offered three liberal arts 
degrees: The Bachelor of Arts, the Bachelor of Science, and the 


Bachelor of Philosophy. The major difference among them was the 
requirement of a Foreign Language, additional English Literature, or 
no language or literature, respectively. The first change was the 
abandonment of the Ph.B. degree. Then, in 1963 the B.S. option was 
restricted to majors in the Departments of Business, Insurance, Speech, 
Education, and Physical Education. The Department of Education was 
later excluded. 

A second change concerning general degree requirements 
resulted from the work of a special curricular committee on require- 
ments called Task Force II, which filed its report in 1967. Not all its 
recommendations for change were adopted, but the most significant 
was perhaps the substitution of the "smorgasbord" approach involving 
electives chosen from a broad area rather than required survey courses 
in the natural and social sciences. The strong survey course in the 
Humanities was retained and it continues to meet the Humanities area 
requirement for a majority of students today, though there is a 
"bypass" consisting of courses elected from the Humanities Depart- 
ments and the Fine Arts. 

Trends and changes concerning instructional techniques and 
formats have included a movement in recent years toward more 
interdisciplinary studies of a specialized nature as opposed to the old 
introductory survey courses. Earlier in the Fifties and increasingly in 
the Sixties, continuing trends toward more individualized or independ- 
ent study projects became apparent. Efforts were also directed toward 
greater utilization of off-campus resources for learning, including in- 
ternships and travel courses. Also evident is a continuing though cau- 
tious experimentation with the use of technological advances in instruc- 
tional media. This trend has been particularly notable since the 
establishment of the Library Media Center in 1973, but could be seen 
before in the application of closed circuit television and the establish- 
ment of a language laboratory in 1967. 

However, overshadowing all the other academic innovations of 
the period (though often facilitating them) was the implementation of 
the January Short Term, originally proposed as a means toward com- 
plete curricular revision. Initial faculty opposition to the idea appeared 
to subside into apathy or resignation during a year of discussion. After 
the Dean's Council declined to act on the proposal, an administrative 
decision was made to implement the concept in 1965-66. Despite initial 
difficulties with final exams and some other mechanical matters, most 
students and faculty members soon came to appreciate the inherent 
advantages of the innovative calendar. It provided flexibility for var- 


ious intensive learning experiences such as travel courses, off-campus 
internships, and individualized laboratory work in the sciences, all in 
addition to giving Wesleyan a highly visible claim to uniqueness. 
Naturally, some fields of instruction and some courses were and are less 
adaptable to the short term format, particularly those associated with 
musical performance. Still, the University's commitment to the new 
calendar was complete, with all of the colleges and schools adopting 
the new format and all students required to participate for credit. 

For the first six years the Short Term was in effect, it was carved 
out of the Fall Semester leaving a Long Term of 12 weeks and a Spring 
Semester of 16 weeks. Difficulties in balancing the workload of faculty 
and students over three unequal time periods (theoretically the same 
course taught in the Long Term or in the Spring Semester was to 
require the same amount of work) led the faculty in 1971 to realign the 
calendar according to terms of 14, four, and 14 weeks. This structure 
was to correspond to a standard student load of four, one, and four 

Subsequent study revealed that many students were, in fact, 
taking five or six courses during each term — heavier loads than they 
had taken under the previous system. In some areas, students were 
taking too many separate courses and faculty were teaching too many 
for maximum efficiency and quality in the learning process. Studies at 
other institutions had demonstrated that such fragmentation of teach- 
ing and study leads to unequal allocations of time and effort to the 
various subjects studied and taught. This situation resulted in a loss of 
intensity and quality of academic experience for students in some 
fields. These problems of fragmentation and overloading were 
attributed to the predominance of three-credit courses, and a general 
LIniversity Self-Study Committee in 1972 recommended conversion of 
the system for awarding credits from the semester hour basis to a course 
unit basis in which all courses carry the same credit toward graduation. 
The proposal was refined in 1972-73 by a special task force and 
adopted by the faculty for implementation in the Fall of 1974. Under 
this new system, each course is worth one unit of credit toward 
graduation. Students enroll for courses in a 4-1-4 pattern and faculty 
members teach according to a 3-1-3 schedule, so that workloads are 
theoretically balanced for both, and there is more emphasis on the 
intensity and depth of the experience with each subject. 

With the Short Term and other innovative techniques, require- 
ments, and programs, balance has been the key to the University's 
efforts at change. The desirability of permitting each student the 


maximum flexibility and choice in designing his or her own educational 
program has constantly been weighed against the necessity for consis- 
tency and coherence in the standards by which degrees are awarded. 
These tensions must no doubt continue and ultimate success probably 
will be measured by the University's success in the balancing act. The 
combination of caution and innovation which typifies Wesleyan's re- 
cent history indicates that such balancing has become a tradition. 
Although the University has never overextended itself in the direction 
of a single radical educational technique, neither has it been altogether 
static. No doubt there have been mistakes made, but they have been 
neither undebatable nor catastrophic. 

Physical facilities are often felt to be less crucial to the educa- 
tional process in the arts and sciences than the people and programs 
which are involved. However, educational excellence requires ade- 
quate resources to supplement the work of teachers and students. 
Though Shaw Hall has come to be deprecated in later years because of 
problems with noise, ventilation and the immoveable chairs, the build- 
ing was seen as a major advance in the Fifties by students and teachers 
who had been confined to Duration and Old North. Shaw is now 
undergoing limited remodeling to meet some of the criticisms. Like- 
wise, the addition of Sherff Hall to the campus for the use of the 
Natural Science departments was more than welcomed, particularly 
because it was air-conditioned. 

Aerial view of Wesleyan campus, 1974 

However, the single most important aspect of the building 
program in relation to the academic programs, particularly to those in 
Liberal Arts, was the construction of the new Library. Noise and the 
inadequacy of space had long been standard complaints registered by 
students and faculty who found Buck Memorial Library intolerable. 
The new building was first occupied in 1968. It combined spaciousness 
and innovative, user-oriented design, with the blessings of carpeting 
(to control noise) and air-conditioning (to permit concentration on 
something other than discomfort). All University library collections 
with the exception of the Music Library were centralized in the new 
structure. Freed of the constraints imposed by the Buck structure and 
realizing the important and changing role of learning resources (both 
traditional print materials and non-print media such as film and micro- 
film), the University has in recent years substantially increased alloca- 
tions for library acquisitions and operations. Aside from significant 
growth of the collection, the most apparent evidence of expanded 
commitment to the Library is seen in the establishment of the Media 
Center in 1973 under the direction of a full-time professional specialist 
in media and instructional design. 

Naturally, no discussion of Wesleyan's academic successes could 
be complete without mention of the faculty which was responsible for 
the continued excellence in teaching which set IWU apart over the 
years. It is obviously impossible to note the contributions of all the 
outstanding faculty members who served the institution over the years, 
but the dedication and decades-long contribution of some individuals 
must be recognized. The mention of a few individuals is intended to 
illustrate rather than detract from the achievement of all. 

Among these are the late Dr. William Eben Schultz, colorful 
author-historian-composer-English professor, and Dr. R. Dwight Drex- 
ler, who came to Wesleyan as a freshman and stayed to teach and 
inspire uncounted piano pupils. Both joined the faculty in 1934. The 
immeasurable contributions of Dr. William T. Beadles during his years 
as a teacher and administrator must also be recognized. 

The decade of the Forties brought Jack Horenberger, another 
alumnus, as coach, physical education teacher and later, in 1957, as 
Director of Athletics; the late Dr. Wayne W. Wantland, biologist, 
chairman of the Division of Natural Sciences and guiding spirit behind 
the Science Advisory Committee; and the late Dr. Bunyan Andrew, 
historian and chairman of the Division of Social Sciences. The dedicat- 
ed leadership of Dr. Carl M. Neumeyer, Rupert Kilgore and Dr. 
Lawrence Tucker in the Schools of Music, Art and Drama has already 


been noted elsewhere. 

Doris Meyers began her career at Wesleyan 20 years ago and has 
taught English, Philosophy, and the Humanities. In this decade Dr. 
Wendell W. Hess headed the Department of Chemistry and in 1971 was 
named Director of Science Programs and in 1975, Associate Dean of the 

Thus, the academic dimensions of the University have changed, 
sometimes in response to the changing nature of knowledge, and 
sometimes in response to the changing ideas about the processes of 
teaching and learning. Some of the changes no doubt reflected the wants 
wants and demands of students, of faculty members, of society, and 
even of administrators. Some were inevitably dictated by economy. 
Assessing the causes of change must be undertaken with caution. 
Passing judgment as to the merits of yesterday versus today is equally 
hazardous. Perhaps the best measure of academic quality in an institu- 
tion may be found in the achievements of its graduates. But even these 
can be deceptive; such achievements take time to make themselves 
known and even then who is to say whether they are attributable to the 
institution or simply to the qualities of the people who chose to attend 


CAMPUS LIFE: From the Wesleyan "Family" to 
"University Community" 

"Campus life" encompasses everything from water fights to 
presidential receptions; it covers experiences more extensive and infi- 
nitely more diverse than those encountered in the classroom. Such 
experiences, which are in a sense incidental to college education, may 
sometimes have a more profound effect on the lives of those involved 
than their academic experiences. 

Major trends and changes in campus life generally shifted from 
the conception of Wesleyan as a family toward the idea of a University 
community composed of a variety of individuals with frequently 
divergent interests. More specifically, there were changes in living 
patterns, periods of increased activism for social and political reform, 
expansion of services provided to students by the University, changes 
in patterns of social contact and social activities of students, and finally 
the move away from the University as a substitute parent. 

Campus life changed significantly with the construction of the 
Memorial Student Center and seven large residence halls, resulting in a 
truly residential college community rather than the previous dispersion 
of students in Greek houses and private homes. The Center was 
dedicated to the IWU students who served and gave their lives in 
World War II. With Pfeiffer and Magill Halls, it represented an early 
and bold step into the post-war era at a time when capital expansion 
might have seemed better delayed. The Center was expanded twice: In 
1961 the Dug Out and ground floor food service areas were added, and 
in 1966 the present Commons and the basement game room expanded 
the building's capacity to meet all projected needs. 

Expanding enrollment and government assistance with financ- 
ing enabled the University to add residence halls on the average of 
one every three years beginning with Dolan Hall in 1955 and culminat- 
ing with East Hall in 1970. A social sorority (Alpha Omicron Pi) and a 
fraternity (Acacia) added houses to the campus in 1956 and 1957, 
respectively. However, economic pressures resulted in the policy re- 
quiring freshman to live in University residence halls and dine in the 

The non-academic services provided to students were gradually 
expanded during the years following WW II and especially during the 
years of sustained growth. Services associated with growing numbers 
of people living in the University's residence halls and eating in the 


Memorial Student Center 

Commons sometimes presented management problems, and in 1969 
Wesleyan turned management of the food services over to a commer- 
cial food service enterprise. Throughout most of the years, the supervi- 
sion of residence halls and their occupants was the function of 
housemothers — head residents who were almost exclusively older 
women. Hall governments selected students to share the head resi- 
dents' responsibilities to some extent. Later a limited number of under- 
graduate "hall counselors" or resident assistants were employed by and 
responsible to the University. By the end of the Sixties, student resident 
assistants were allocated throughout the residence halls; their functions 
included counseling of residents as well as some forms of disciplinary 
supervision. The parallel between life in the residence halls and the 
family structure was beginning to break down. Thus, in the Seventies, 
there has been a conscious policy shift away from head residents 
according to the concept of "housemothers" and toward head residents 
considered as young professionals in the field of student personnel. 
Today's head residents are much closer to the age of the students who 
live in their halls and almost without exception have had or are in the 
process of getting formal training at the graduate level which is rele- 
vant to their functions as counselors. 

Tuition increased rapidly and substantially, particularly during 
the years of expansion beginning in 1958. The previous year, anticipat- 
ing the establishment of the Illinois State Scholarship Commission, the 


University became the first school in Illinois to "package" a financial 
aid proposal, thus guaranteeing funds from a combination of loans, 
grants and jobs for students. Under this pioneering plan, State Scholar- 
ship winners who enrolled at Wesleyan in 1958 could qualify for 80 
percent of tuition and fees. Tuition increases, the result of dramatically 
rising inflation in recent years, have reduced the percentage, but the 
University still attracts a substantial number of State Scholarship win- 
ners each year. 

The Commons 

More than any other single aspect of college life, institutional 
food is the perennial butt of student humor and griping. Such has 
been the case at Wesleyan since the time when meals were served in 
Kemp Hall and line-cutting was felt by some to be a serious problem. 
Some times have actually been worse than others, however. The all- 
time low at IWU was apparently reached in October 1966 when a 
shortage of rice for chop suey reportedly resulted in the substitution 
first of chow mein noodles and next of dry breakfast cereal (Cap'n 
Crunch?). Failing to appreciate the cook's inventiveness, the 
student body rose up angry and over 100 students filed a formal 
protest petition. The administration acted quickly to bring a food 
service consultant to the campus. 


This trend toward higher tuition has been sustained in recent 
years by dramatically rising inflation. The financial aid service, 
established formally in 1963, and the University's policy were the sine 
qua non without which many recent alumni and current students 
would have been unable to attend Wesleyan. A related external devel- 
opment was, of course, the vast expansion of government sponsored 
grants, work-study programs, and loan guarantees and subsidies at 
both the state and national levels. Through its exceptionally effective 
financial aid services, Wesleyan assisted more and more students both 
directly with grants, loans, and jobs from University funds, and indi- 
rectly by providing assistance in obtaining support from external 
sources. The proportion of students receiving some form of aid rose 
from less than 40 percent in 1964 to over 70 percent in 1974 and the 
total aid administered from all sources now exceeds 2.5 million dollars 
annually. There can be little doubt that this program has been and 
continues to be of crucial importance both to individual students and to 
the overall development of the University. 

Out of the Ashes 

The Phoenix was born of the vision which came to be known 
as the "counter-culture." It may have been a faint, small echo of the 
shock waves the "beat" generation sent through America from both 
coasts. But whatever its origins, the coffeehouse, hastily fashioned 
out of an old residence in a suitably obscure corner of the campus, 
met immediate needs for its patrons in the early days of 1 966. It was a 
haven for those inclined to folk songs, poetry readings, social 
concerns, protests against senseless war, or simply solitary 
communion with "a different drummer" inside themselves. 

As might be expected with a free spirit, the Phoenix has 
experienced numerous crises of management and finances during 
its short history, including the destruction of its original home which 
was declared a fire hazard. In 1 971 the coffeehouse was reconstruct- 
ed, largely from the original materials, in the basement of the 
Memorial Student Center. Its spirit is renewed each term when it is 
born again. 

Counseling services, both in the area of academic advising and 
counseling related to problems of a personal nature, have been made 
more systematic and formalized over the years. In part, these trends 
are probably due to the increased size and complexity of the Universi- 


ty community. For several years Wesley an has retained professional 
counselors on a part-time basis to offer students needed assistance in 
coping with the intensity of modern academic life. Efforts to improve 
advising have been further intensified in recent years as the University 
has come to realize the value of this process as a means of preventing 
avoidable attrition, i.e. students who drop out because they mistakenly 
believe that the institution cannot meet their needs. Reducing such 
attrition helps prevent enrollment declines for the University and saves 
time and money for the students who are helped. 

Another pioneering step in the development of student services 
at IWU was the establishment of an Office of Career Planning in 1969, 
under the direction of Anne Meierhofer, the former Dean of Students. 
While there had been a placement service and limited career counsel- 
ing since the late Forties, this change represented a breakthrough in 
two ways. First, the new program constitutes a conceptual advance; it 
stresses the overall function of vocational counseling and planning 
assistance for students in all fields and at all levels of development from 
freshmen to seniors. Career Planning integrates with the other counsel- 
ing services relating to academic advising and personal problems. 
Second, the change demonstrated a shifting of priorities in recognition 
of its increasing importance to students faced at once with more 
competition for jobs and/or graduate training, and with career choices 
that are increasingly complex. Thus, the University, for the first time, 
assigned the career counseling and placement function as the sole 
responsibility of a professional staff member. 

In addition to changes in residence patterns and student ser- 
vices, the years since the war, especially during the Sixties, saw a 
substantial change in the patterns of social activities adopted by stu- 
dents. Greater diversity in the social outlooks of students, movements 
toward individualism or even non-conformity, and increasing involve- 
ment in political and social action movements spelled the end of many 
of the traditional all-school functions such as proms and other formal 
dances. Informal dances and "exchanges" continued to be frequent 
functions, particularly among the Greeks, but even these declined in 
popularity and were often replaced by more spontaneous small-group 
gatherings. By the late Sixties, the only significant all-school gatherings 
were associated with athletic contests, concerts, required convocations, 
or expressions of social or political protest. The traditional social 
calendar which formerly prevented the simultaneous scheduling of 
dances or "functions" was no longer necessary and requirements for 
the presence of faculty chaperones at all social events were abandoned, 


All-school dances, now just a memory 

much to the relief of at least some faculty members and students. 

If the campus gained social sophistication and individual free- 
dom, the resulting benefits may be offset to some extent by the possible 
loss of community identity or of those formal structures which facili- 
tate efforts at meeting a greater variety of people. It is possible that the 
social contact between faculty and students is more genuine and 
natural today, but on the other hand, there may have been more of it in 
the past. 

Already noted as an exception to the general decline of all- 
school gatherings, Wesleyan's athletic program is a standout. The 
athletic program has over the years exhibited a rare consistency of 
achievement and has continuously commanded the support and re- 
spect of the Titan community. Jack Horenberger's four-man coaching 
staff includes three alumni. Together, the staff members have served 
the University for more than 80 years. 

The only change during the years since the war which might 
have been expected to have an adverse affect on the athletic programs 
was the decision in 1962 to end the practice of awarding athletic 
scholarships. Instead of being a handicap, it seems that the change 
actually resulted in benefit as IWU continued in subsequent years to 
field teams composed of able and intelligent athletes who performed 
out of a desire for personal achievement and a loyalty to Wesleyan. No 
account of the glories and defeats of Titan athletic history over the past 
30 years could do justice to the fans' memories of thrilling moments of 
excitement or disappointment. The achievements are in the record 
books and no effort to recount them will be made here. 



Even when hopes of defeating Normal's Redbirds on the 
gridiron were dim, there was some satisfaction to be gained through 
superior pranksterism. A favorite target of Titan daredevils in later 
years was the so-called ISU Victory Bell which mysteriously found 
its way out of locked storage for guest appearances on the Wesleyan 
Quad or at pep rallies. 

The End of an Era 

While Wesleyan grew in the years after 1945, Illinois State 
University (Normal) exploded to over 18,000 students. The year 

1969 saw the final football clash which IWU lost 27-6. The all-time 
IWU-ISU football record stands at 35 wins, 36 losses, and 7 ties. In 

1970 the basketball rivalry climaxed with a thrilling last-second win 
by the Titans 69-68 which gave Wesleyan a 69 to 42 edge in the all- 
time standings. 

Several classes of Wesleyan students have known the 
excitement of having the basketball team go to the NAIA 
Tournament in Kansas City. The Titans represented District 20 in 
1961, 1966, 1970, and 1971, and IWU fans swarmed to "K.C." in 
such numbers as to make lasting impressions on the natives and 
the other participants. For all the trips, the Titan record was 3 wins 
and 3 losses. The best finish was 2 wins and a loss in a quarterfinal 
round, in 1966. 


At the time when the greatest number of veterans were enrolled, 
some signs of breakdown appeared in the University's control over the 
lives of students outside the academic sphere. Required chapel atten- 
dance, for example, began to meet with resistance. Presumably, the 
maturity and independence of the veterans led them to resist or ignore 
some of the social constraints placed upon them. It was many years 
later, however, before the University's assumption of a substitute 
parent role came under direct attack. The concept known as in loco 
parentis under which the University assumed responsibility for the 
safety and social conduct of its students has largely disappeared, but its 
decline was a long process which was a painful and frustrating experi- 
ence as well as a cause celebre for many students and administrators. 

Spring Fever 

The symptoms of spring fever, a disease endemic to college 
students of all generations, have varied greatly over the years. 
Perhaps the most common characteristic of these manifestations is 
frivolity, though sunworship also plays a part and libidinous urges 
no doubt underlie it all. Thus there are water fights and there used to 
be panty raids. In more affluent times patterns of migratory behavior 
developed and students drove south as the birds made their way 
north. Frisbees always seem to hold a new fascination in the spring. 
On the more extreme level, one recalls the mass march in 1 969 when 
warm air and the ostensible goal of liberating Wesleyan's women 
from the bondage of curfew hours inspired Titans and Redbirds 
nearly 2,000 strong to march (for some reason which is still a 
mystery) to the McLean County Courthouse. Most recently, 
springtime has induced various uninhibited college students to 
streak, unencumbered by clothing, through the balmy night. 

As with most parent-young adult relationships, the most intense 
clashes of will centered on sexual and moral questions and/or related 
to the general theme of maturity and independence — thus, the burn- 
ing issues always seemed to revert to the curfew for women and the 
segregation of the sexes generally. The personal decision as to the use 
of alcoholic beverages was also a perennially vexing question. 

Though there was potential resistance in the Fifties (perhaps 
even covert actual resistance) to the regulations restricting the personal 
freedom of students for the purpose of their own protection or for the 


peace of mind of their parents, the overt concern of students to such 
control did not become apparent until the Sixties and the era of social 
upheaval on campuses nationwide. Even then the objections, though 
vociferous, were relatively restrained. Dialogue between students and 
administrators, though protracted, seldom broke down, and University 
controls on the lives of individuals, particularly on the lives of women 
students, were relaxed in a long series of negotiated stages covering 
nearly a decade. 

There is evidence that many Wesleyan students and faculty 
members have always been aware of the larger political and social 
worlds — even during the allegedly apathetic Fifties. However, activ- 
ism for social and political change has varied notably over the years, no 
doubt influenced by the times, the size of the student body, the 
resources available for organization and action, and the intensity of 
other demands on students' time. Perhaps the most significant factor 
leading to what appears to have been a major upsurge in activism 
during the Sixties was the establishment of the student activity fee 
under the control of the Student Senate. This fee provided substantial 
resources for the support of educational and cultural programs as well 
as entertainment and social activities. 

Wesleyan "Underground" 

Those among the student body whose appetites for wit 
and/or political muck-raking were not satisfied by the ARGUS often 
took matters into their own hands. Some such as the founders of 
Wesley-0 were interested in a humor magazine; others such as the 
mysterious group called THORNE wrote lengthly reports on the 
state of the University in addition to sending anonymous notes to 
individuals who did good or ill as judged by THORNE. Other 
publications, including the Purple Page, RAP, Wolf, and El Lobo, ran 
the gamut from campus humor to slander. 

Throughout several years of the ARGUS, the University was 
also treated to the anonymous pronouncements of mysterious 
figures who called themselves "Charles Martel" or later 'The 
Gadfly." These unknown wielders of barbed pens were at times 
witty, pompous, vicious, satirical, stimulating, or incomprehensible, 
but nearly always good for a laugh of one sort or another. 


The religious activities of students have always been an import- 
ant aspect of campus life, but for several years, especially in the early 
and middle Sixties, the Religious Activities Commission, supported 
financially by the Student Senate, was in the forefront of efforts to 
stimulate discussion of values and promote student awareness of the 
moral dimensions of social and political responsibility. National move- 
ments, first for civil rights and later for an end to what was perceived as 
a criminally unjust war, found their reflections among Wesleyan stu- 
dents, faculty, and staff. Many of these reform efforts translated them- 
selves into change of the University itself. The establishment of an 
Afro-American Culture Center in response to needs expressed by the 
Black Students Association is one example of the direct effects on the 
school. Some within the University community opposed these move- 
ments, and demonstrations and confrontations of conflicting views 
ranged in form from rational discussion to shouting matches, but they 
never resulted in violence to persons or property. 


Stability and Involvement 

By design this sketch portrays the University in the abstract; as if 
its successes and failures, to the extent they could be controlled at all, 
were the result of a collective institutional will, yet in reality it is 
individual people who make decisions and take steps which result in 
good or ill for Illinois Wesleyan. Organizational structures are neither 
as interesting nor as important to the final outcome as the people who 
work within them, but they do make a difference and they reflect 
something of the people who erect them. Trends and specific changes 
over the last 30 years reveal both the shifting needs of the institution and 
the overall stability which resulted from a dedicated staff with relatively 
low turnover. 

The stability of Wesleyan's leadership has been an extraordinary 
factor in institutional strength. Since 1947 Wesleyan has had only three 
Presidents, and three Presidents of the Board of Trustees. Of the six 
Academic Deans who have served IWU since 1950, three account for all 
but five of the past 24 years. In addition, successful leadership in 
University business operations, admissions, student aid, student 
personnel, administration and the four professional Schools has been 
provided by a few individuals with decades of service. 

This leadership strength and stability can best be illustrated by a 
brief chronology. In the Spring of 1947 Dr. Merrill Holmes assumed the 
presidency of Illinois Wesleyan; under his administration the Universi- 
ty built the Memorial Student Center and several large residence halls 
and completed the Centennial Fund campaign. He was succeeded in 
1958 by Dr. Lloyd Bertholf, whose 10-year presidency was marked by 
rising enrollment, faculty development, the establishment of the Colle- 
giate School of Nursing, and the construction of seven major campus 
buildings. In 1968 the mace was passed to Dr. Robert S. Eckley, who 
came to higher education from an executive position in industry. His 
administrative priorities have included qualitative academic improve- 
ment, enrollment stability and an institution-wide system of manage- 
ment by objectives. Overlapping the terms of the three presidents were 
those of three Board presidents. Ned Dolan led the board from 1939 to 
1962 and was succeeded by Paul Allison. In 1970 Allison retired and the 
Board elected Clifford E. Schneider as president. The three academic 
deans whose tenure has been most significant in recent Wesleyan 
history have been Dr. William T. Beadles (1953-59), Dr. Everette 


Dr. Robert S. Eckley, 15th President of 
Illinois Wesleyan University, on his in- 
auguration day 

Walker (1961-70), and Dr. John L. Clark (1970- ). 

Organizational trends toward more formality in the constituted 
governmental structures and toward more professional training and 
specialization in some of the administrative areas seem to have been 
accompanied by increased formal concern and involvement of stu- 
dents and faculty members with the general decision-making pro- 
cesses. Wesleyan has consistently enjoyed a higher level of involvement 
by students and faculty in such administrative functions as public 
relations and admission recruiting than many other colleges have 

The campus community and some consultants have noted that 
Wesleyan has, over the years, resisted the temptation toward adminis- 
trative top-heaviness. Some would even contend that the reluctance to 
add administrative staff was and is too great. It is apparent, however, 
that the major expansions in the administration have been in response 
to specific institutional needs, seldom, if ever, losing sight of the 
primary goals of the University. 

Academic administration, in particular, has traditionally been 
narrowly prescribed and subordinated to the primary educational 
functions of instruction. Faculty members and individuals with teach- 
ing backgrounds have for the most part assumed the positions of 
leadership, and there has been little substantial change in the structures 
within which they worked. The divisional groupings of liberal arts 
departments was abandoned in 1971, giving some departments a more 



At various times during the past 30 years Wesleyan students 
and faculty have produced and performed in radio shows aired over 
Bloomington's WJBC. A recurrent dream was to have a campus 
radio station, and in the spring of 1972, after several years of 
frustrated efforts and months of unexpected delays, WESN-FM was 
born through joint sponsorship and co-operation of the Administra- 
tion and the Student Senate. With studios in the basement of Kemp 
Hall and transmitter atop Ferguson Hall, WESN radiates a signal 
powerful enough to reach most of Bloomington-Normal. Recogniz- 
ing the station's unique qualities and problems, witty staff members 
dubbed it "Nonesuch Radio." 

direct link with the Dean of the University, but departments with 
common interests continued to be grouped under the leadership of 
"program directors," and department chairmen had always had the 
opportunity to deal directly with the Dean on some matters. 

The functions of admission, development, and student person- 
nel services have grown more complex over the years and there has 
been a trend toward increasingly systematic and professional ap- 
proaches to their operation. Under the direction of Lee W. Short, a 
Wesleyan alumnus who joined the administrative staff in 1952 after 
teaching in the School of Music the previous year, admission, public 
relations, financial aid, publications and development departments 
have assumed varying configurations during the years. 

Similarly, the expansion of the University's physical plant and 
financial operations has called for more sophisticated and automated 
methods, under the leadership of Philip W. Kasch, who came to IWU 
in 1948 and was named Business Manager in 1961. Particularly in more 
recent years, as the theories and empirical data relating to college 
management have become more refined, Wesleyan has made con- 
scious efforts to systematically analyze problems and plan for their 
solution as well as for future development. Good management has not 
been accidental and the benefits are clearly apparent in the tangible 

Of course, good management often takes the form of alert and 
imaginative exploitation of fortuitous opportunities. A single outstand- 
ing example of such imagination serves to illustrate the difference 
which can be made: Sherff Hall and the Fred Young Fieldhouse are the 


result of an inspired co-operative arrangement with the Illinois Agricul- 
tural Association, which built them for the University in exchange for 
their temporary use pending completion of the Association's perma- 
nent home office building. 

E. E. Sherff Hall, new home of science programs 

Faculty members have always had responsibility for decisions 
on curricula and other requirements, as well as informal involvement in 
most of the major administrative decisions directly affecting academic 
matters. For the most part, these responsibilities have been carried out 
in the context of the plenary meetings of the faculty, or in consultations 
with administrators on a less formal basis, individually or by means of 
special committees. During the last several years, however, the role of 
the faculty has become more formalized and explicit, with the succes- 
sive implementation of subsidiary committees for policy development 
and consultation with the administration. In 1970 the faculty (with 
Trustee and administrative encouragement) adopted its first constitu- 
tion formally setting forth the responsibilities of the faculty and the 
structures for implementation. 

Trends in the development of the student role in University 
governance are perhaps best illustrated by the inclusion of two stu- 
dents as full voting members of the Faculty Curriculum Council 
created by the new Faculty Constitution. There is evidence that stu- 
dent views have always received the attention of administration and 
faculty in recent decades, though responsiveness and the context in 
which the views were considered have changed considerably. By the 
end of the Fifties, students were included in the membership of nearly 
all standing administrative committees and the Student Senate had 


been given nearly full autonomy in the use of the student activity fee. 
As students became more assertive of their inherent interests in the 
operation of the school, the University responded by enlarging their 
participating roles. 

The provisions for regular contacts between Trustees and stu- 
dents were significant and pre-dated similar moves at other colleges by 
several years. Though there was some controversy at the time, the 
admission of student representatives and reporters of the student press 
to the general faculty meetings must also be considered a kind of 
progressive landmark. Only two years elapsed between the time of 
faculty resistance to admission of the ARGUS into its meeting and the 
decision accepting membership of students on the Curriculum Coun- 

Both faculty and students have on many occasions demonstrat- 
ed the capacity for serious involvement in the University's affairs and 
concern for its future development which goes far beyond immediate 
self-interest. Whether one's conception of Wesleyan likens it to a family 
or an academic and social community, it is this involvement and 
interest in the well-being of the whole which has enabled IWU to 
weather many formidable difficulties. 

Wesleyan has not been without the guidance of experts in making 
the decisions which have affected its future. In the late Forties and again 
in the late Fifties, the Division of Higher Education of the Methodist 
Church was a source of valuable consultation which led to many 
improvements. In 1967 and 1973 accreditation review teams from the 
North Central Association provided important input to the process of 
self-evaluation and planning, and the Association provided continuing 
consultation for the years between visits. Specialized accreditation 
groups in the professional fields of Nursing, Music, and Teacher 
Education have provided periodic evaluations. 

The University, realizing the value of an external perspective, 
also retained occasional departmental consultants. In 1972, this practice 
was formalized at the recommendation of the Self -Study Committee 
and a policy of regular periodic consultation for all departments and 
schools was implemented. Finally, consultants have been utilized to 
good advantage in purely administrative areas such as development 
and personnel management. 

The trustees of a university in some ways represent its perman- 
ence and its future more than its present. It is to be expected that the 
charter and the trustees of an institution will not be subject to frequent 
or substantial change, and this sort of stability has been characteristic 


of Wesleyan's governing body. With the exceptions of certain funda- 
mental decisions such as the selection of presidents, raises in tuition, 
and action on faculty contracts, the presence of the trustees is seldom 
perceived in the day-to-day functioning of the school. More typically, 
the work of the trustees may be seen indirectly in the results of the 
building program or the growth of the endowment. 

The Landmarks Fall 

By all accounts, Duration Hall endured for too long. It lasted 
from 1943 following the fire which destroyed the upper floors of 
Hedding until it was used for purposes varying from IWU 
Administration, to classrooms and faculty offices, to the offices of 
the Central Illinois Conference of the Methodist Church. 

The Arch, so long a symbol of Illinois Wesleyan and a 
reminder of the impressive structure which once stood on the site of 
Duration Hall, was lost for structural and economic reasons in spite 
of sentimental desires for its preservation. 

Wesleyan's last 19th Century building was razed in 1967 to 
make way for the new Library. The possibility of restoration had 
been investigated and found infeasible. Despite its symbolic value 
as an IWU landmark, many of those who occupied Old North in its 
declining years say they were happy to see it go. 


Thus it is not surprising that the structural changes in the Board 
which were effected in 1968-69 had no immediate impact on the 
campus. The membership was reduced from 48 to 39, with one-fourth 
to be elected by the Central Illinois Conference of the United Method- 
ist Church. Prior to 1968, the entire Board had been so selected. A new 
committee structure was instituted to parallel the administrative orga- 
nization of the University, and these four committees — Academic 
Affairs, Business Affairs, Campus Life, and Development — recommend 
policy decisions to the full Board. The officers of the Board, the 
committee chairmen, the Bishop or his alternate and the President of 
the University comprise the Executive Committee which meets month- 


Wesleyan's Trustees have contributed directly and substantially 
to the more concrete operations of the campus in many limited but 
important ways. One example of long standing is the role of Trustees 
with scientific backgrounds in the work of the Science Advisory Com- 
mittee. This group has met annually since the Forties with the Director 
of Science Programs to offer expert guidance in that area of the 
curriculum. Trustees have been instrumental in special study groups 
such as the Visiting Committees which helped to assess Wesleyan's 
strengths and needs during the 1970 Year of Re-evaluation and thereaf- 
ter. For many years the Trustees have also exhibited an openness to 
student ideas and an interest in the student viewpoint. This openness is 
best evidenced in the formation of the Trustees standing committee on 
Campus Life and the regular invitation to students to discuss issues of 
concern at the Committee's regular meetings. Since 1969 student lead- 
ers have been invited as visitors at regular Trustee meetings, and more 
recently, Student Senate officers have been given the opportunity to 
attend committee meetings other than Campus Life, whenever the 
various committees are not in executive session. 

It is important to recognize the significant role played by the 
Trustees in the major capital developments of the University since the 
Second World War. In 1949 Trustee initiative created the "Special 
Investment Fund," which provided, at a particularly crucial time, 
substantial returns for programs involving one-time expenses (such as 
buildings). Trustee involvement also contributed to the success of the 
Twelfth Decade Advance building program. More recently Trustee 
involvement in both current and capital fund raising has intensified, 
helping Wesleyan not only to meet stiffer challenges to its economic 
stability but to set records for fund raising in the process. 


CONCLUSION: Directions for the Future 
—We are the Founders. 

As Wesleyan completes the first quarter of its second century 
and enters into the last half of the 1970s, it faces many challenges, but it 
does so from a position which may inspire a guarded optimism. The 
major goal as identified by members of the Administration, by special 
Visiting Committees and by planning groups including faculty mem- 
bers and students is to continue to improve the academic quality of the 
institution as well as to expand its reputation for quality. A corollary 
goal is to maintain a stable enrollment and to increase financial security. 

To a very great extent, the external forces working on the 
University comprise the stiffer of the obstacles to success in meeting 
these goals. The well-qualified student body and the continuing finan- 
cial resources which are necessary for success are threatened from a 
number of directions; most prominently by the general economic 
malaise of the nation and by the predicted declines in the growth rate 
of the national student population which have resulted in greater 
competition for students among all colleges and especially between 
institutions in the public and private sectors. 

The source of what has been called "guarded optimism" in the 
face of these challenges is the record of Wesleyan's achievement in the 
past few years. To date, IWU has "bucked the trend" which is threaten- 
ing small private institutions across Illinois and the nation. The quality 
of the faculty has been demonstrably improved, the size of the student 
body has been stabilized near the peak of overall quality with respect 
to the average test scores and high school rank of the students admit- 
ted. Alumni and friends of the University have responded over- 
whelmingly during the past five to seven years, as both current and 
capital giving to Wesleyan repeatedly set new records. 

Another reason for cautiously anticipating continued advance- 
ment in the immediate future is evident throughout the history of the 
last 30 years. That evidence is found in the sustained dedication of 
individual members of the staff, student body, and faculty, sometimes 
to the point of self-sacrifice. While such a history of dedication is not 
uniquely characteristic of Wesleyan, there is evidence to suggest that 
student and faculty concern and involvement in such areas as admis- 
sion recruitment and development are among the distinguishing char- 
acteristics which set IWU apart from similar schools which are experi- 
encing more difficulties. 


The Loss of the Elms 

The campus landscape changed drastically and sadly when 
more than 100 large trees were lost to disease in the space of little 
more than a year. Currently a comprehensive landscaping project is 
being carried out by a full-time grounds foreman under the direction 
of a landscape architect who is an alumna. It will be many decades 
before IWU students and staff enjoy the cool shade of as many large 
trees as graced the campus in 1958, however. 


The central question for the future of Illinois Wesleyan is reason- 
ably clear: Can it continue the trend of success and achievement, 
evident in the first half of the Seventies, in the face of continuing, 
perhaps increasing, challenges? Barring some unforeseen events of 
cataclysmic proportions, there is reason to believe that Wesleyan has the 
capacity to overcome these. There is a firm foundation upon which to 
build. In the final analysis, the most important factor is likely to be the 
one over which we, as members or friends of the Wesleyan community, 
have the most control: That is the extent and quality of our own 
individual contributions in the University's support — the dedication, 
imagination, and resourcefulness with which we meet the challenges 

Once each year, the Wesleyan Community gathers to honor the 
University's founders, to venerate the rugged and dedicated characters 
who first brought the University into being and kept it alive in its 
infancy. Part of the ceremony is inevitably the singing of the "Alma 
Wesleyana", which, with its sentimental and all-encompassing pledges 
of eternal loyalty, should serve as a reminder that each generation of 
the community is a group of founders of the institution as it exists for all 
who succeed. It should be obvious from the preceding pages that 
Wesleyan has outgrown or spilled over its foundation many times in 
just a few years and each time those present have built the underpin- 
nings for new additions or reconstruction. We pay our respects to the 
past which went before us, but we should not forget that we are the 
founders of the University as it is today and as it will be tomorrow. 


About The Author 

George Vinyard was born in White Hall, Illinois, 
grew up on a farm there and attended North Greene 
High School. He entered Illinois Wesleyan in 1967 and 
soon became involved in activities of the campus 
community. He worked on the Argus, served as trea- 
surer and later president of the Student Senate, and 
was one of the first student representatives on the 
Faculty Curriculum Council. After graduating magna 
cum laude with a bachelor of arts degree in English in 
1971, he spent one term in graduate study at Boston 
University before returning to Wesleyan as administra- 
tive assistant to the Dean and President. His duties 
included writing the 1972 University Self Study Re- 
port, preparing grant proposals, editing the catalog 
and performing staff work for the Faculty Task force 
on the course unit system. In August 1974, Mr. Vin- 
yard left Wesleyan to enter the University of Michi- 
gan Law School.